Friday, May 18, 2012

This Old PC


This Old PC
Part one

While running a boutique firm it is easy to get attached to the technology that I use, because I spend so much time with the technology in my office I get a little sentimental when it comes time to retire it. 

It might be that trusty PC that has been at the heart of my work & global communication or that laptop that I have trekked all over the globe. So when it becomes time to retire them emotion often enters the decision. Some part of me feels a little guilty to discard it after all of its hard work, so I try to find alternatives for them. 

Ok those people who actually know me, might say that my motivation actually stems from my thriftiness, I am guessing it is a well rounded combination of both loyalty and resourcefulness that motivates me to find ways to continue to use some of my technology after it is past its prime.
PC’s are the easy item to find additional uses for; they can be cleaned up, sped up by deleting software programs, and can find a variety of new roles in a small office.
Here are some of my suggestions for converting that older PC:
Data Storage
Data Storage back up
DVR for the office security system
PC for office visitors to use for web surfing
For the advanced technologist or office guy with an inner geek, there are some other options:
DNS server
Application Server for light duty software applications
Another use for that old PC could be to support any other legacy office hardware, for example printers and plotters that do not have RJ45 of WIFI interfaces can be connected to an old PC and now it works as a print server for the company.
I would like to hear from my blog readers on what resourceful uses they have found for that old office PC and yes we all already know they make good side tables for coffee cups.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it's not too old you could set it up as a dedicated gamer server or use it to build an old school gaming cabinet. other uses would be to set up a HTPC/Media server, an extra firewall, join the folding@home or seti@home projects, or finally donate it to someone in need.

Jason said...

If its not too old you could set it up as a dedicated gaming server or use it to build an old school gaming cabinet (mame). other uses would be to set up a HTPC/Media server, an extra firewall, join the folding@home or seti@home projects, or finally donate it to someone in need.

Therese said...

I agree 1000%! The old trusty PC is hard to get rid of. I have three sitting in my house and I just cannot ewaste them because they still work. I have given my old PCs to my Mom to use because lets face it she only uses it for email and solitaire.

I use it for just doing your banking stuff or secure web transactions. You are still using it but you will not use it for your daily comuting because it is slow. So once a month, the old PC gets started up and I just do my banking and turn it off. No other web sites so I don't get infected, hacked, or owned. Of course, I update the PC at that time so it takes a little longer but it is worth it. I know that my private information is safer.

By the way, the old 486 cases...yup the sturdy metal ones, they make excellent boosters. I have three of them stacked up and I put my portable AC unit on it so the unit will be higher up to drain the extra water into a bucket. Try that with a aluminum or plastic case! LOL!