Monday, January 2, 2012

David Nealis in Hanoi Vietnam

David Nealis in Hanoi Vietnam

I went to Hanoi, Vietnam, it was right before Vietnamese New Year known as Tet, and the city was a buzz with activity preparing for their holiday. The residents of Hanoi were busy buying new clothes, preparing special meals, cleaning their homes, and purchasing lucky plants for their homes, it was great to experience their culture and traditions. Tet is celebrated on the same day as Chinese New Year and it was easy to see some southern Chinese influences on the Viet holiday.

While in Hanoi I met with a Vietnamese friend of mine, who works at the Bank of Vietnam, they showed me around the city and gave me some good insights to the growing economy of Vietnam

Hanoi is the capital of Vietnam and the country's second largest city, it is a fascinating blend of Viet, French and Chinese influences, from it architecture to its cuisine. While I was there I went on a tour of the city to the typical tourist sights; the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, the Temple of Literature, and many other places around the city.

I have wanted to go to Hanoi for some time; I wanted to see with my own eyes, if this nation was going to be the next Asian Super Economy. I felt Hanoi wasn’t ready for prime time, but it was a good experience. I feel that Hanoi has the same feeling in the air as Shenzhen did fifteen years ago, which might be the start to a wonderful explosion of economic growth.

Time will tell if Vietnam’s tiger roars into the future or if it will continue to be the economic miracle that almost could be.

No comments: