Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Hot Commodities by Jim Rogers - Review


I read “Hot Commodities” after first reading Jim Rogers’ book a “Bull in China”.
I am a China Market Consultant and I started reading “Hot Commodities” while helping a Futures Brokerage client enter the Greater China Market Place.

On a trip to Singapore I was able to meet with Mr. Rogers not only to get my books signed by him, but to also hear his view on the world of investing and where he thought it was going, I left his home excited to get back to reading his book and also to start studying for the Series 3 License. So with that said, this review might be slightly biased.

I found the book to be a well written easy to read introductory guide to the world of commodity investing. Jim Rogers takes a long term fundamentalist approach to investing, in the book Jim Rogers proves to us that fortunes are made by thinking independently from the crowd, finding opportunities and then making logical investment decisions.

In the book he does a beautiful job at telling us about political and other developments that affect commodities, he uses oil, gold, lead, sugar and coffee as examples.

He also makes some nice parallels with the stock market and commodities market, suggesting that commodities can be a useful diversification in our portfolios.

Over all I would say this book is a must read, the book gives us some great insights from an investing legend.

No comments: