Friday, December 2, 2011

Corsair CX430 The Builder Series


 Running a small business often means I need to fill many roles; one of the roles I play at my company is the “IT Guy”.  

Recently a power supply burned out on an older office PC that is running Windows XP.
This PC wasn’t the most productive computer in the office, but I felt it had another year or 2 left in it and I have several software programs that run best on Windows XP. 

After doing some research I decided that I was going to go with Corsair CX430 power supply. The company Corsair has a great reputation for performance and stability. The model I chose is the CX430, it is one of the most basic power supplies available from Corsair and it was under $50 US dollars making it very affordable. 

I headed out to the Wan Chai Computer Centre here in Hong Kong to buy it.
It might have been easier and a little cheaper to find it online, but this gave me the opportunity to browse the vast selection of products at the Wan Chai Computer Centre.
Within 15 minutes of arriving at the mall I found the power supply after another 20 minutes of browsing other gadgets I was out the door and heading back to install it. 

To my delight the power supply has features usually reserved for premium power supplies.The contents of the box were the manual, a power cord, with zip-ties, mounting screws and paper work for the 2 year warranty. 

The DC output capability for the Corsair CX430 is:  

Corsair
CX430
+3.3V
+5V
+12V
-12V
+5VSB
20A
20A
28A
0.8A
3A
Max Power
120W
336W
9.6W
15W
430W


The Corsair CX430 is black color and fits right into the power supply slot of my PC with out any issues. 

Unit Dimensions(L x W x H)
140mm x 86mm x 150mm

 One of the great things about this unit is the fully sleeved cables and the cables have a good length to them, which is normally only seen on more expensive power supply models. 

The power supply has a good selection of connectors: 

Corsair CX430
Type of connector:
Quantity:
24-pin ATX connector (600mm)
1
4+4-pin ATX12V/EPS12V (600mm)
1
6+2 PCIe (600mm)
1
SATA (2 cables w/ 2 connectors each) (400mm+150mm)
4
5.25" Peripheral Power Connector (1 cable w/ 3 connectors each) (400mm+150mm+150mm+150mm)
3
3.5" Drive power adapter (+150mm)
1


Well within 30 minutes the new power supply was installed and the computer booted right up and was ready for work, it’s not a blazing fast box by any means but it serves the need for the next year or more and for less than 50 US Dollars it is a great value.

The CX430 has been performing well; the voltage regulation is good, the fan produces almost no sound and everything installed with out any problems.

I highly recommend it!

No comments: